Saturday 4 April 2009

Inglorious Basterds


I'm severely sitting on the fence with this one. I grew up loving Tarantinos stuff, with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction being personal favourites. But recently I've become bored with his films. Tarantino is essentially a film geek and the ultimate post-modern film director. He pays homage to his favourite films and genres by 'borrowing' images, reference points and sequences from his favourites. This is then knitted together with his trademark dialogue, which over the years has become more self referential. His last film Death Proof rates as one of the worst films I've ever seen; the characters are annoying and the dialogue exchanges uncomfortably long and uninteresting. The genius sound design and synth lines of Planet Terror was a far more enjoyable homage to the Grindhouse traditions and ideology. So I will be approaching Inglorious Basterds with severe trepidation, but lets hope Tarantino can get back to his best. While I'm talking about film trailers, how excited am I about Where The Wild Things Are..........

No comments:

Post a Comment